Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Work in Progress Wednesday 189





Happy Wednesday! I hope you are having a great week. Mine is going okay so far. It's extremely hot here (it was in the 90s yesterday and will be again today!) so it's been a challenge to get all of my work done in my studio before I start to get too hot. My studio really heats up when I have three pots going at the same time of almost boiling water and no air conditioning. The good thing is, since I have to speed through the work before the late afternoon hits, that means more knitting time!

Last week you saw the start of my sock, but I actually ripped it back and started over. I realized it was too big, despite using the normal number of stitches I usually use (64). I made the toe narrower, going down to 12st per needle, and then only increased to 60. That seemed to work out great, and it was easy to do since the only patterning on the sock is the side cable.


I'm actually a little further now than in this picture, but as you can see I've started to travel up the leg. As mentioned last week, this is my first toe up sock. I'm glad I'm doing it, but I think I like the process and feel of cuff down better. The positive is I won't feel like I have to shy away from any sock pattern due to the way it is constructed. I don't want these socks too tall, so I've added a few more cable repeats up the side and then will start the cable with ribbing today if I get a chance. I'm using Candy Skein Savory fingering, so I have 400 yds to play with, and I want to make sure I have enough left over to make a square for my sock blanket.

As far as new things, these are also new to me needles. I'm using the Addi Sock Rockets for the first time. I will say, I love them and want a few more. The cables are amazing and the needles are sturdy, but light with sharp tips. I have no complaints at all and these will be my go to needles from now on I think. It's funny because I don't care for normal Addis but it makes me want to try them again to see if the company has improved them since last I worked with them.

That's it for me today. I hope you have a great rest of the week. Hopefully I'll have this sock done by FO Friday!

For those that are new to WIPW, to share your WIPW post with us, just fill out the Mr. Linky below. Despite it saying you must comment, don't feel as if you do. That is something Mr. Linky automatically adds. I just ask you to check out a few of the links posted to see what everyone else is working on and comment there if you can. Everyone loves feedback and a little encouragement on their projects! Also, please link back to this post in your post to get the word out! The more the merrier! 

9 comments:

  1. Your sock is knitting up beautifully. I've not heard of those needles before, think I'd better do some googling!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the color and cabling on your sock!!! It looks awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pretty sock! And ripping back was the right choice, it looks like (the 60st version looks like it fits well).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very pretty! Are they small circulars or are you using magic loop?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Never even heard of the Addi Sock Rockets. The name sounds fun! lol, might give them a try!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Tami. This is my first visit. Your sock is gorgeous! I love the colors. I am a beginner (and it shows!). Nice to meet you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow that is hot. Not exactly sock weather. I must check out those sock rockets they look really useful.
    Enjoy the sunshine.
    Deb

    ReplyDelete